Melissa Menkel McGuire
Melissa Menkel McGuire has over 25 years of experience representing small, medium and large public and private employers, non-profit organizations, associations and executives and professionals in all aspects of employment law.
Ms. McGuire practices before federal and state courts and administrative agencies throughout Maryland, West Virginia and the District of Columbia, representing businesses in all aspects of employment law. She aggressively defends claims alleging violations of wage and hour law, wage payment and collection law, family and medical leave law, employment civil rights laws and breach of contract. She also defends employment tort claims such as wrongful discharge, negligent hiring and retention and defamation.
Ms. McGuire also regularly provides employers advice and counsel on all aspects of the employment relationship, including disciplinary matters, leave, benefits, policies and procedures, wage and hour compliance, protection of confidential, proprietary and trade secret information, employment contracts, severance, unemployment benefit issues, hire letters, discrimination and retaliation, independent contractor classification and employee medical issues. In addition, she provides advice and counsel to executives and professionals on employment contracts, compensation, restrictive covenants and severance agreements. Ms. McGuire provides human resources training on topics such as effective documentation of personnel issues and avoidance of illegal discrimination and harassment in the workplace. She also conducts workplace investigations of complaints of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
Ms. McGuire has published articles and regularly speaks on employment law topics. She has presented before the Maryland State Bar Association Annual Conference, the Bar Association of Baltimore City and the Chesapeake Society for Human Resources Managers. She has been recognized for several years in the Maryland SuperLawyers publication as well as a Maryland Legal Elite by SmartCEO Magazine. In 2016 and 2017, she was recognized by Superlawyers as a top 50 Maryland women attorney and in 2017 as a top 100 Maryland attorney. In addition, she has been recognized by the Best Lawyers in America and her firm has been recognized a Best Law Firm Employment Law- Management by U.S. News & World Report.
Ms. McGuire is a member of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the American Bar Association. She also serves as the Chair of the Labor and Employment Law Section of the Maryland State Bar Association.
University of Maryland School of Law
- Juris doctorate (with honor)
- Maryland Law Review
- Moot Court Board
College of Notre Dame of Maryland
- Baccalaureate arts (cum laude)
ADMITTED TO PRACTICE
Maryland, District of Columbia, West Virginia
United States District Court for the District of Maryland
United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
United States Supreme Court
McGuire Moore Law, LLC
Law Office of Melissa Menkel McGuire
- 2016-2017 Baltimore Magazine/Superlawyers – Top 50 Women Attorneys in Maryland
- 2017 Baltimore Magazine/Superlawyers – Top 100 Attorneys in Maryland
- 2014 – 2018 Best Lawyers, Inc. – Best Law Firms, Employment Law-Management (2nd Tier – Metropolitan Area – Baltimore)
- 2013- 2018 Best Lawyers, Inc. – Best Lawyers, Employment Law – Individual, Management (Baltimore, Maryland)
- 2014 – 2018 SuperLawyers – Labor and Employment – Management
Whiteford, Taylor & Preston
Partner – Labor & Employment Group
- 2009 Rising Star Award from SuperLawyers
- 2009 Legal Elite Award from SmartCEO Magazine
- “Maryland and MoCo Pass Legislation Expanding Paid, Sick, Family & Safe Leave Benefits: Governor Hogan Vetoes State Bill.” Maryland State Bar Association Bar Bulletin June 2017. Print.
- “Criminal and Credit Background Checks in the Employment Context.” The Maryland Bar Journal November/December 2013 XLVI.6 (2013): 32-39. Print.
- “Changing Personnel Issues in an Economic Downturn.” The Maryland Bar Journal July/August 2009 XLII.4 (2009): 4-11. Print.
- “Corporate damages under Title VII and other civil rights statutes that apply to employment,” DRI – The Voice of the Defense Bar, August 2009. Print.
- “Kadlec Medical Center v. Western Professional Insurance Co.” Maryland State Bar Association Section of Labor and Employment Law XIII (Summer 2008): 18-19. Print.
- “How Old Are You? And Other Interview Questions to Avoid.” Baltimore SmartCEO (2007): 41. Print.
- “Supreme Court Recognizes Same-Sex Harassment.” The Advocate 14 (Winter 1998): 1. Print.